Board of Trustees
We are professional and practitioners with a strong passion to inspire children in learning meditation and mindfulness to better their life quality in order to achieve a balanced, all-embracing lifestyle with a helathy and stable mental well-being.
Venerable Thich Phap Tanh:
- Buddhist monk ordained since 1980
- Education: Master in Sociology
Myhanh Angela Vu:
- Education: Master in Public Administration; Doctorate Candidate in Education
- OI Member & Mindfulness Practitioner since 2000
- Angela was born and raised in Viet Nam but absorbed western cultures through her education in the US. She earned a Bachelor in management and a Master in Public Administration. Angela was fortunate to be born in a Buddhist family and studied dharma with her parents' guidance since childhood. In regard to her youth serving related activities, she has been a member of GDPT since 6 years old until 2005. She also involved in Huong Dao VN in the US and many other youth organizations. In 2007, she and her friends founded the Bodhi Youth of America with a mission to bring engaged Buddhist practices to the Vietnamese American and the young generation in the US to inspire them unfold their potential and achieve a balanced and all-embracing lifestyle. She embraces both Vietnamese and American culture in life as well as spiritual practices. During her free time, Angela likes to travel and go hiking.
Dawn Tran Galazyn:
- Education: Master in Teaching with specialization in Special Education; Education Specialist Credential
- Mindfulness Practitioner since 2005
- Dawn is a special education teacher in Garden Grove and has been teaching since 2005. She works with intermediate school students with special needs. She has a Bachelor in psychology and a M.A. in Teaching with specialization in Special Education. Growing up she was active in a local Buddhist youth group, Thanh Nien Phat Tu Bat Nha. She discovered mindfulness practices when she attended a retreat by Thich Nhat Hanh in 1999, but it was not until after college that she made a commitment to practice consistently, which has helped her to be more grounded in both her personal and professional life. On her free time, she enjoys practicing yoga, spending time with her family, and learning to simply "be". Dawn aspires to continually deepen her own practice so that she can share it with her students. She is also a certified yoga instructor.
Thang Xuan Nguyen:
- Education: PhD. in Chemistry, College Professor
- Mindfulness Practitioner since 2006
- Thang is a professor of chemistry at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut. He earned his doctorate in chemistry at the California Institute of Technology in 2013. During his undergraduate studies, Thang took a meditation class called "Peace is Every Step" where he was introduced to the mindfulness practice of Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. This led to Wake Up retreats at Dear Park Monastery and establishing a young people's sangha in Orange County called Wake Up Little Saigon. When not teaching, Thang likes to run, meditate and eat with his friends and family.